Volume 2-2012



Use this link to add your email address to the RARWRITER Publications mailing list for updates on activities associated with and Revolution Culture Journal.




Learning from Jimmy Iovine

Interscope Records CEO Jimmy Iovine was featured in a recent piece in Rolling Stone, and it was one of those rare celebrity interviews that actually yield insight and useful information for people interested in music production and engineering. READ MORE...

On Selling Songs Through TAXI

Occasionally, as an amateur songwriter, I will open the account I have with TAXI, the Web-based Artists & Repertoire service, check out the listings, usually for those calling for Film & TV soundtrack music, and if I have something that seems like a possible match I will upload an MP3 mix and submit it for consideration. I never get anywhere with this past-time... READ MORE...



(Click here)

New Releases on RARadio: "Last Call" by Jay; "Darkness" by Leonard Cohen; "Sweetbread" by Simian Mobile Disco and "Keep You" from Actress off the Chronicle movie soundtrack; "Goodbye to Love" from October Dawn; Trouble in Mind 2011 label sampler; Black Box Revelation Live on Minnesota Public Radio; Apteka "Striking Violet"; Mikal Cronin's "Apathy" and "Get Along"; Dana deChaby's progressive rock




"The Musical Meccas of the World"









Original Musical Compositions and Select Covers

Fiction and Non-Fiction

Special Projects





This edition we spotlight  rock guitar and ukulele virtuoso TONY GAMBLE, whose life as a kid in Malilbu put him in the company of heady pros from the music industry and beyond. He has moved comfortably among the musical elite, but it is mean exposure to the environments inhabited by the drug addicted and the  psychotic that is the subject of his book in development, titled Valhalla of Decadence - A True Story Of Music Murder & Mayhem. Tony Gamble talks about his life and times as a rocker in L.A.  RAR




Los Angeles: Yeah, L.A.  Land of candy coated dreams, and the wannaí be B.S. people who think L.A. is the winning Lotto ticket, and for people like me, yeah, I just watched myself on C-NBC October 25th, then had a radio interview on November 6th. I was on KHNL/NBC Morning show in Hawaii July 24th 2006, the list goes on. I could never have dreamed that I would be associated with people in such a big murder case. I have spent the last 3 years trying to forget, but now I need to remember. Iím not going to sugar coat anything, this is a synopsis of what really happened:

My name is Tony Gamble. I come from a rich family, but ended up on the streets of L.A. I use the term (Rich Family) loosely, as we were poor, but my Dad became a famous L.A. Movie stunt pilot;  John Gamble was my dad. He flew helicopters in just about everything from the 1980ís from Scarface, "A-Team", "Dukes Of Hazard", to a whole bunch of other movies and TV. that I donít rememberÖ I wanted to be a professional skate boarder or a pro tennis player, but Rock Ní Roll took over. So, I could go on about where I started, but the bottom line is this:

Today is October 13, 2007, and have been procrastinating writing this, as last time I started was exactly a year ago, but then I got a phone call last night from Gary Schimmel; youíll get to know these names and who they are as I write. Gary is a big key to this chapter in my life, we were room mates for six years, and let me tell you some of the craziest things happened in that Town House in Encino! The phone call was pertaining to the David Steinberg murder case. I was questioned in 2004  because Chris Walsh was found Dead in a storage unit in Van Nuys; well, a friend of mines storage unit. The call was that the defense is trying to get a hold of me because they want to ask me some questions regarding, well, who knows. I gave a statement a few years ago. I told Gary to say that he couldnít get a hold of me. I mean Fuck that! I have no desire to be involved in that shit. I guess the watch I gave Chris is still a  big issue, as when they opened up the trash can and dumped his body out he was still wearing it. I will fill you in on this, but right now I just need to get this out. Anyway, I then received a phone call from my best friend George Jassick, he did a year and a half for accessory to murder although he had nothing to do with it, a case of a drug dealer being in the wrong place wrong time. George goes to court again next week to testify. I feel bad  for him because he has his life back and is a successful grip in the film industry. He also has a son to care for. Just when you think itís over, it comes right back to haunt your memory.

I have been through some jacked up shit but how everything falls apart can happen in the blink of an eye, or in some cases, the cops kicking in the doorÖ


So begins Tony Gamble's noir tale of illicit drugs, rock'n roll and murder in Lotus Land, where the rich and the famous raise their kids among Southern California's unique working class of entertainment industry professionals, stars and hangers-on, dreamers, foggy fans, service workers, street-level hustlers and, when things go wrong, homicide detectives and news reporters.

I was born Anthony Burton MacAfee on May 29th 1967 in Peoria Illinois, I think my dad was a sales man for the Olivetti corporation, and my mom was, well, Iím not sure. My parents had already bought a home in L.A. when I was born but my mom wanted to shit me out in Illinois and then move to L.A. I guess we were living in Woodland Hills, but I donít really remember, I was only three weeks old for fuck sake.
The earliest memories I have were when we lived in ďBig RockĒ in Malibu. I remember it was early seventies, and I got my first skate board with clay wheels on it, and I knew I loved skating and then urethane wheels came out, I fuckiní missed that era in my life. I was going to Webster elementary school in Malibu, and I would skate my little heart out. I donít really remember much happiness in our house so I would skate and ride my bike a lot.

Tony was growing up surrounded by entertainment industry types, including the sports entertainment people who populated his boyhood dreams.

"Allen Sarlo's dad was an acquaintance of my dad..."

I remember one day my dad had invited a professional surfer over to try and teach me the rope. Well, before I get into that, I guess my dad was doing business with some real-estate guy, whose son was named Allen Sarlo, and he was really cool, he came over to the house and gave me a crash course in surfing. Little did I know he was part of the Zephyr surf team and one of the Z boys from Dog Town!

Man, this dude could surf like a madman, and everybody watching him had their jaws dropped. He still surfs pro I think, but at this point I was getting the hang of it and day by day I was getting better, I mean between the skating and surfing I was doing pretty well. Finally Bret (Stokes) decided I was ready to start surfing Staircase and to be introduced to the boys. I was stoked! No pun intended!

My first day was not very cool, the guys made me clean up beer bottles and beer cans, trash and everything else on that beach, I had to earn my right to surf there, but I didnít care, I was hanginí with the older crowd and if I did a good job they might let me be a part of the crew. I was eager to please, and anxious to show them my trash bags full and hoped to get rewarded, and when I was done they let me surf, and surf I did.
I was the only one in the water and everyone was on the beach watching me, talk about stress! I needed one good wave, and I remember the skyís were grey and the water was glassy, and there was a small swell, I caught a relatively small left, but Iím a goofy foot (Left Handed) so I stand face to the left, but I shredded every part of that wave, and when I heard all the hooting and hollering, I knew I did good. I paddled back in and everyone was stoked that this little kid could surf with the big boys. I was smiling from ear to ear, and then came the final part of my initiation to the gang.

This one guy named Mike McKenna whom everyone made fun of because he was a Val. I didnít know what that was at the time, but then I was told he was from the valley and that Valís sucked and they were invading our surf spots and they all needed to stay home or get their asses kicked. Well, I guess he had become a local because he spent so much time in Malibu. Anyway, he pulls out this weird tube that had water in it and a metal thing sticking out of it, I was like what the heck is that? Mike said it was a bong and you smoke pot from it. I was told I had to smoke a bowl, and while the smoke was still in my lungs I had to take a drink from this bottle of whiskey. Ummm ok. I took my hit and swigged on the bottle, and that was it. I was on my ass!

For the uninitiated, Allen Sarlo was one of Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions original "Z-Boys", the wrong-side-of-the-tracks surf crew that dominated the waters off Bay Street in Santa Monica, and off the old Pacific Ocean Park amusement park, known to the locals as "Dogtown". This unlikely group of "losers" would have a profound effect on youth culture, as the Z-Boys brought their surf technique on shore, where they perfected a skateboarder's style that was low-slung and rich with tricks. The Z-Boys became West Los Angeles street legends and then competed as a team in the 1975 Del Mar Nationals, which marked the re-birth of skateboarding, which had developed in the 1960s but faded in popularity until the Z-Boys brought it back with a style that made it cool. The story was told in the 2005 film "Lords of Dogtown", starring the late Heath Ledger.

As it turned out, it was further proximity to high-end music pros who would give Tony Gamble a leg-up on the profession that would supplant his skater's dreams.

"I was living at the Malibu Bay Club off of PCH and some new people had moved into a couple of the houses, and there were kids about my age. The one girl spoke funny, (British Accent) and she told me her dad was here doing music. The boy said his dad was a singer. The Girl, her name was Kirsty Birch and her dad was Martin Birch, who is a legendary Producer, and the band was Rainbow, and they were recording an album and the kids dad was Ronnie Dio! So I just became friends with all of them and my mom became friends with Ronnie's wife. From there they had a song out at the time 'Man on A Silver Mountain'. I thought it was cool, and Richie's guitars just mesmerized me. My dad got me an acoustic guitar, and Richie gave me my first lesson! Pretty cool when you look back on it."

TRANS-ATLANTIC RELOCATION: While the skater culture was taking hold in the U.S., it was not a phenomena that was big in England, where young Tony was headed, not entirely by choice. His relocation from L.A. sounds like that joke about the kid whose parents moved away while he was at school.

"I guess, I would say, I don't come from the streets, but I lived on the streets for a period of about 6-8 months. I actually come from a family who had money, but they were never supportive at all, so they pretty much took me to England for a vacation, and lets just say they came back and I didn't. I went to school there and then after school would go to work in a factory building refrigerators, etc. I was there for 6 years and when I came back to L.A. to go to music school I had no money and nowhere to live, so I was homeless."

The music school Tony returned to L.A. to attend was the highly regarded Dick Grove school.

"Dana, the head of the guitar program, took notice of me right when I graduated and asked me to work for them, so I said yes. It lasted on and off for about 5 years."  Tony contributed to a number of Grove's guitar instruction books, and his work with Grove led to other teaching opportunities. "Since I have done a lot of teaching, I worked for Steve Trovato (USC Jazz Dept) doing instructional videos in motion capture, I was the first guitar player to ever film in Mo-Cap!"

That exposure also led to a long-standing association with ESP Guitars. "ESP and I have had a working relationship since 1993. I was w/ another company for a while but was not really happy. I approached ESP, Matt who is now the CEO, called Seymour Duncan pickups for a reference, they gave me a good one, and he said lets do this. I have been w/ them ever since, and they have stuck by me and have given me a lot of guitars over the years. I love em'. I also did clinics/seminars for them at NAMM."

None of these opportunities would have come his way, of course, were Tony Gamble not the talent that he is. By the time he enrolled at Dick Grove, he had already toured England with the band "Little Dolls" and was on his way to establishing his "brand", which crosses over the boundaries separating electric from acoustic music, rock from soul.

In 2002, Tony released On Coming Train, tracks from which found homes on alternative playlists around the country, with music reviewers surprised to find the rocker, who for a decade had toured as a side player  in hard rocking bands, to be self-inclined toward edgy acoustics. He was "Dave Mathews with an attitude", according to one writer.

In 2007, he returned with another surprise twist, a ukulele rock album, Breaking Tradition, which garnered awards from uke-oriented music groups. And now he is back with Trial by Fire, a recording with vocalist David Hoiseck, which they are releasing this month (October 2009) as Gamble'n Hoisek.

Back a few years, however, Tony Gamble was living a lifestyle that, by his own description, represented "a very dangerous situation". This is the "noir" part of his rock journey that he tells in his book in development.

DRUGS, WATCHES AND MURDER: "Drugs came much later in life, and I want to stress, I never did any illegal drugs. It started with Vicodin and progressed to Oxy's and Fentinyl pops (Morphine) on which I OD'd pretty often, etc. It got really bad. The dangerous situation was, my roommate was a drug dealer, and lets just say things got way out of hand...

"That was crazy, I was living in Encino With a roommate who was selling drugs. It didn't bother me too much because he kept it out of the house and nobody ever came over. I went on tour and was gone for 4 months and when I got home everything changed. It was like a major party at my house every night. A friend of ours had just gotten out of jail and needed a place to crash for a few months, so our place was a big 3 bedroom townhouse, so we let him hang.

"We would stay up and hang and drink all night, he was a very cool dude to me, but I wouldn't want to get on his bad side. He stayed for probably 6 months or so, but while he was at our pad he had another friend that he has known for 15 years. That dude was a nut, a 'white pride' kinda guy. I got along with pretty much anybody - still do - but I had my own watch company and I was selling them and trying to get my company off the ground.

"Chris - the guy who got murdered - bought a couple watches from me and paid 1/2 and then he was going to pay me the other 1/2 with pills. He ended up bringing a watch back for me to adjust the strap and said he would pick it up in a few days. He came back a few days later, and asked for the watch, I then asked for the pills. He didn't have them. So I said I would give him the watch when he pays me.

"Big Mistake!

"He left and later that night called some other chick that we knew and left a message saying I disrespected him and he was going to kill me. Next thing we had an army of bikers, etc., armed, over at my house waiting to see if Chris would actually come over and do it. He ended up not showing up, thank God. My buddy Dave (roommate) said that Chris was not going to let it go. I decided to give Chris another watch just to make peace. My Roommate Gary, helped co-sign for an apartment for Chris and Dave.

"Long story short, Chris went missing, eventually they found his body shot and stabbed in a trash can in another friends storage unit. This was all over the news. I was actually relieved because Chris was a menace. I was questioned but they knew right away I had nothing to do with it. Dave got sentenced to life without parole." (See sidebar story)

TRIAL BY FIRE: Given the events in Tony Gamble's life, particularly revolving around the 2003 murder described above, it might make sense to assume that "Trial By Fire", the title of his new album, is a reference to that. In fact, it relates to something far more mundane, if somewhat typical of another aspect of the life of a music pro: dissatisfaction with the industry in which he works, the music business.

"The new album has nothing to do with the book. It has more to do with wanting to quit music because I feel I was really fucked over by the business, and this album has been 6 years in the making and by all means almost never happened."

Tony feels burned by the business transactions around his "killer ukulele" LP. "Throughout the years Iíve dealt with many agents and managers. In this case my agent also ran the distribution for various labels and artists. Lets just say she has some Grammy winning artists on her roster. She signed me and made a lot of promises, we booked a month long tour of Hawaii and she did get me on all the TV/Radio shows that were happening as well as Borders book signings and in store appearances. My album was in stores, even Tower Records on Sunset."

Tony and his agent had a falling out over price points. "They wanted to and did sell my record for $17.99. I thought it was over priced and ridiculous to sell it at that price especially since there are only 11 songs on the record. Their thought was 'we could make more money, and I will get a bigger royalty rate'. That was disgusting to me. Lower the price I said, I donít care about a higher royalty. Make it cost effective for people. They lowered the price to $13.99 only when I did an appearance. Lame!"

Tony, like many independent artists, has evolved to a strong "do it yourself" perspective on music career management. "First off I just want to say I get real tired of the industry taking advantage of artists/bands. We as musicians can be at the mercy of the industry, big names, small names, no names. Unfortunately we need these people when we start getting bigger, they are a necessary evil if you want to progress, and in turn they really need us.

"I'm not really harboring any bad feelings towards the business, maybe some of the people in the biz. But like any company, your going to have the good employees and the bad ones. I think there are a lot of problems within the industry, and that's why they are in trouble. Artists can make things happen for themselves without having to go through the corporations. I have no regrets, I think its all a learning experience you know?"

GOING FORWARD: Tony Gamble and David Hoisek are busily promoting Trial By Fire, doing radio interviews and life performances. They were at the Viper Room earlier this month and will be there again in November, with a Vegas show in between.

They packed the Viper Room this month, before the new album was available, which is impressive for a guy (Tony) who hasn't been active on the club scene for a couple years. "I play for companies at NAMM that are bigger paying gigs doing seminars/clinics. I try not to play out too much in Hollywood though, maybe once a month is good, but I'm just getting back in the game w/ this band!"

Tony, who is 41 ("I am 41 but look like 30, haha") and single, is relaxed and charming on stage, an unpretentious player with a noticeably deft touch.

"Thanks! I try to be charming. lol. I'm not angry, I used to be angry though. I can be moody, and I get pissed off sometimes, especially when people don't follow through with their commitments. Who I am really is just a simple person with a simple life. I used to have so much but lost almost everything. I'm just glad I'm alive and I'm really just trying to have fun playing music now. I was lucky enough to have worked with some really big names in the business, I've toured countless times. Man I got to do a lot of cool stuff. I just want to be a normal person, I never cared about being a rock star or needed all the attention. I know who I am now. My creativity hasn't changed based on what has happened in the past, I think we all get great Ideas when bad things happen!"

Tony's great-from-bad idea is his book, which he is passionate about, even while needing help to make it happen. (He could use the assistance of a ghost writer to finish it up. "I'm not a writer," he says, "I just write.")

"It's going to be called Valhalla of Decadence - A True Story of Music, Murder and Mayhem in L.A. I will only publish this through a mainstream genuine publisher. It deserves that and more."

"Iíve learned a ton of lessons in life and about the streets, people, real gang stuff. You name it. I think the point of this book is to show how you can come from the streets, be homeless, have a drug addiction, almost die several times, live in a very dangerous situation and be able to clean up and still pursue your dreams and come out of the worst adversity and be okay. There is hope for everybody who may be suffering, but its up to you to determine whether or not you want to commit to a better life.

"I think I'm just taking each day, I would say I'm happier than I have been, I only drink now and I cleaned up on my own, one of the hardest things to do. I would say to people who want to quit and rehab is an option...Do it!"





Devonshire Area Homicide Unit
2004 Press Release -

"Publicís Help Needed To Capture Murder Suspect"

What: News Conference

When: Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 11:00 a.m.

Where: Devonshire Area Police Station, 10250 Etiwanda Avenue, Northridge

Los Angeles: On January 29, 2003, at about 1:30 p.m., an off-duty Los Angeles County Sheriffís Deputy was fired at by a gunman at a condominium complex located in the 9900 block of Topanga Boulevard in Chatsworth. The Deputy was unharmed by the gunfire and the gunman ran away. Christopher Walsh, an associate of the suspected gunman, lived at the complex and witnessed the unprovoked attack. He was detained for questioning and released.

Following an extensive investigation by members of the Devonshire Homicide Unit, the gunman was identified as David Michael Steinberg. Arrest warrants charging Steinberg with assault and Walsh for accessory were issued on June 24, 2003. In the course of attempting to locate and arrest these suspects, the investigators became aware that Walsh had been reported as a missing person by family members on June 30, 2003. On the same day the detectives located Steinberg in a North Hollywood apartment and arrested him for assaulting the Deputy, evidence recovered pursuant to a search warrant at Steinbergís apartment suggested foul play had transpired inside the apartment.

On July 2, 2003, human remains were discovered concealed in a container in a public storage unit located at 15460 Erwin Street in Van Nuys. The remains were identified as those of Christopher Walsh. The autopsy revealed Walsh had been shot to death. Devonshire Homicide retained investigative responsibility for the collateral murder of Walsh based on the likely connection to the prior assault on the deputy.

An exhaustive investigation has resulted in the issuance of a murder arrest warrant for David Steinberg, as well as for his accomplice, Jeffrey Lawrence Weaver. Additionally, an accessory to murder allegation was charged on two other associates identified as Tony Shane Wilson and George Jassick. Steinberg has been in custody on the prior charge and is to be arraigned for the murder of Christopher Walsh on February 4, 2004, in San Fernando Court.

Homicide detectives and field agents from the California Department of Corrections Parole located and arrested Tony Shane Wilson on February 3, 2004, at a residence located in the 11200 block of Blix Street in Toluca Lake. One hour later George Jassick was arrested at his work location in the Hollywood area. Both Wilson and Jassick remain in custody pending arraignment on February 4, 2004, for the accessory to murder charges.

Suspect Jeffrey Weaver is still at large. He is believed to be in the Southern California area. Weaver is also wanted in connection with an armed business robbery that occurred on January 11, 2004, in the 18400 block of Burbank Boulevard in Reseda. Weaver is a career criminal and should be considered armed and dangerous.

Weaver is 34 years old Caucasian, 6í 00", 250 lbs., blond hairs and blue eyes. A photograph of Weaver will be released during the news conference to alert the community and to ask for the publicís help in locating this extremely dangerous felon.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Devonshire Area Homicide Unit, at 818-756-8291. On weekends and during off-hours, call the 24-hour toll free number at the Detective Information Desk, at 1-877-LAWFULL (1-877-529-3855).

This news advisory was prepared by Public Information Officer Jason Lee, Media Relations Section, at 213-485-3586.

EPILOGUE - From the CBS Los Angeles, Jan 7, 2008:

One of two men convicted in the shooting death of a man whose decomposing remains were found in a Van Nuys self-storage unit was sentenced Monday to 40 years to life in prison for carrying out the killing because the victim witnessed a crime. "You were an active and direct participant in a cold-blooded murder," Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael E. Pastor told 38-year-old Jeffrey Lawrence Weaver. "You actively participated in the murder of someone who was helpless. It doesn't get much lower than that."

Weaver was convicted Dec. 13 of second-degree murder for the June 2003 shooting death of Christopher Walsh, whose remains were found swathed in plastic and duct tape in a storage container on July 2, 2003.

Co-defendant David Michael Steinberg, 41, of Studio City, was convicted Dec. 11 of first-degree murder and is facing life in prison without the possibility of parole when he is sentenced Feb. 5.

Steinberg shot Walsh multiple times because he had witnessed Steinberg shoot at an off-duty sheriff's deputy, who was not struck by the gunfire, at a Chatsworth condominium complex in January 2003, and Weaver finished him off with a gunshot to the head, according to prosecutors.

In a brief statement to the victim's family before being sentenced, Weaver said the victim "was alive when I walked out of there." "I didn't shoot him, but I probably could have helped him," the defendant said. The judge was unconvinced. "Mr. Weaver, your words ring hollow as far as I'm concerned," Pastor said. "You are a murderer. You are a coward."

The judge said he would recommend that Weaver never be released on parole.




Dave Hoisek and Tony Gamble

Says Tony - "Dave was my next door neighbor for almost 4 years, I knew he was a singer, but had no intention of working w/ him because I'm a singer. So I got called to play a show, and I was thinking, I should ask Dave if he wants to come up and sing a song or 2 and he said yes. I gave him a copy of the songs and when he came over to practice we ended up writing a song called "Back There Again" I really liked his voice and the rest is history! I thought it would be cool to have him learn my set and he has been my singer since then. He only sang 3 songs on the new record, 'Back There Again', 'Lead Me On', and 'Eyes of Her Love'. The rest is me singing."

Trial By Fire Credits

George Evans - Bass on: "Back There Again", "Sometimes", "Happened To Me", "Drink Here No More"

Joseph Brinson- Bass on "Orega Funk"

Voyce McGinnley - Congas, V-Drums on certain tracks.

Trial By Fire was mastered by George Evans at Park Avenue Studios in Kansas City MO by George Evans. Special thanks brotha' (from Tony)

NOTE: When asked who he considered "cool", Tony Gamble's response, in part, was - "I also think George at Park Ave Studios is cool. He mastered my new record!


TONY GAMBLE MP3s: (Click links to play)

Acoustico Live - Gamble/Hoisek

Candy - NAMM Demo

Fut Da' Wok - Tony Gamble

Just Passin' By - Tony Gamble

Ortega Funk - NAMM Demo

Sometimes - Gamble/Hoisek

One Summer Night - Gamble/Hoisek


Tony has been writing tunes for his new LP Trial By Fire since 2007, and considered titling it "Corporate Messiah's Tony Gamble"


On Coming Train -

Breaking Tradition -


(Excerpt from
Valhalla of Decadence

by Tony Gamble)

This shit gets interesting, because no eight year old kid gets to hang with rock stars and starts drinking and smoking weed. Ahh, but you werenít me.

My dad had bought a three story home right on the beach about half a mile from County Line, and Neptuneís Net was a restaurant with a little grocery store attached, and itís still there to this day. On the beach side was a Hot Dog stand that no longer exists. I fell in love with Malibu, if you looked out my bedroom window there were big giant rocks in the water that me and my little sister Nicole would play on, and they had tide pools, and I remember pulling the Muscle shells off the rocks and opening them up and using the insides for bate, because little fish would get trapped in the tide pools, and I would fish for them. It was fun. That was also where I discovered surfing, which was perfect for me as I loved skateboarding except this was on the water. I remember seeing this dude around the Bay Club, and he looked really cool, he had long blonde hair and hung out with these really cool surfer dudes. He was about 18, and I was maybe 8, but I wanted in, Big Time! He drove this cool van and would drink beer and smoke pot, his name I will never forget. Bret Stokes. I donít really remember how I mustered up the courage to talk with him but it happened and we became friends, he was into some really cool music that I fell in love with, I remember Ted Nugent and Aerosmith, it was loud and mean. I was hooked. I think Bret gave me my first surfboard, and I was dedicated, I would be in the water everyday just trying to get myself up on my feet. About 50 yards from the house was a cool surf spot called Stair Case, and I was a little scared to try there, I mean, these guys might have drown me, or even worse, give me beer and pot! I figured I would just stay out front of the house and surf there until I could at least stand up on the damn thing.


Gamble'n Hoisek at the Viper Room in October


Learn more about Tony Gamble by visiting and (for Gamble/Hoisek)




©Rick Alan Rice (RAR), May, 2012